Thursday, September 9, 2010

Jesus' Leadership: Mark 15

Before Pilate
vv 1-15. Still Jesus is shown injustice and still He remains silent. He is not pleading for His life nor trying to reason with the officials. He is resolute and Pilate is dumbfounded.

The Soldiers Mock
vv 16-20. These passages are reminders that following after Jesus involves "picking up our cross." Picking up a cross is an exhausting, painful, and gruesome task. I forget this. But Jesus went through it, trusting God that there was glory on the other side. Perhaps someday I or we will be in this very situation with our very lives on the line. Almost assuredly we will face lesser trials that we know we must endure for a good on the other end. LORD give us you strength to do so faithfully and obediently as you did.

The Crucifixion
vv 21-32. Even Jesus needed someone to help carry His burden. I know I would feel humiliated in this case. But if God incarnate can become weak and require an outsider to help for bit, then so should I accept such help.

The Death of Jesus
vv 33-41. Jesus questions God. "Why have you forsaken me?" But even in this question JEsus is quoting scripture. In a sense this is a prayer. And to the end Jesus is in tune with His father, even under the excruciating of circumstances.

The Burial of Jesus
vv 42-47. The story of Joseph or Arimathea is a great encouragement that there are those we don't expect who have been touched by the message we preach. So often I get consumed by what is right in front of me, but God could be working on people's hearts anywhere. The work of God is not limited to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow davidjmccune on Twitter