Friday, July 30, 2010

Seafood

For whatever reason, I grew up terrified of seafood. I think it has something to do with dad's fish phobia. He can't look at them when they open their mouths...something about the black mysterious depths...I dunno. Sounds weird eh? Well growing up it made perfect sense - fish are weird cuz they open their mouths and terrify you.

Well, fish and life of the sea, guess who's opening their mouth to terrify now? Yessir that's a me. The week started by me buying seasonally fresh, never frozen, sockeye salmon and grilling it up all nice with a brown-sugar and spicy mustard sauce. I've never grilled salmon before! (except for the time on the big green bus at potlatch where we grilled 1000 lbs of it for the entire tourny to pay our way there and I smelled like fish oil for a week - there was that - another story though). I've never bought and grilled it before - there! The week previous I had bought and marinated and grilled shrimp! Never done that. Check. Then there was dinner tonight. Well well well little fishies, who want to get eaten? how about you mister catfish (1st time, check) or you shrimpy shrimp, or sushi grade tuna tuna, or, hello, what's this? a little seabass? I mean dang. 4 types of seafood in one sitting - and I ordered the catfish...and I liked it...a lot. I guess if you fry anything and dump it in cheese grits with a honey glaze sauce it'll taste yummy.

So there it is. I consumed me a little seafood smorgasbord tonight and was surprisingly satisfied. Thanks for dinner Thad and Suzanne! Fears to conquer - seafood - check! Next up - mowing the backyard (what? it takes forever and it's disgustingly hot down here; and we never use it...probably because it's not mowed! OK - peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow davidjmccune on Twitter