Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Southern Rain

It's currently pouring in Augusta and I'm LOVING it. I'm at the church with low lights and it's peacefully restful here while I read and write.

I need it - I've been feeling a lot of pressure between being at home with Hannah, loving Virginia well, and getting my work done for school. I kinda almost broke down this morning but a generous friend offered to take Hannah for a few hours and I'm getting a much needed "brain refresher" here at the church, soothed by the rhythm of the rain, the softness of the gray clouds, and the merciful coolness of the air. Lord, thank for this rain! I'm reminded of one of my favorite passages:

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the LORD.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways
And My thoughts than your thoughts.

“For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven,
And do not return there without watering the earth
And making it bear and sprout,
And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater;

So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth;
It will not return to Me empty,
Without accomplishing what I desire,
And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.

~Is. 55:8-11


I love the imagery of God working through us both for our own benefit (the eater) and to benefit others (sower). I find great encouragement and rest here...

So I love me a good southern thunderstorm. You count on them just about every afternoon this time of year. That makes this morning shower all the more special. Lord, refresh us with the rain of your love and promises and purposes, that we may grown into them and return out fruit to your service...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow davidjmccune on Twitter